polygenic function

Questions about GenABEL (aka *ABEL) suite of packages
Forum rules
Please remember not to post any sensitive data on this public forum.
The first few posts of newly registered users will be moderated in order to filter out any spammers.

When get a solution to the problem you posted, please change the topic name (e.g. from "how to ..." to "[SOLVED] how to ..."). This will make it easier for the community to follow the posts yet to be attended.
merina

polygenic function

Postby merina » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello,

Is polygenic function in GenABEL suitable for use when the random effects are correlated?
I have a phenotype in binary format. In the "trait.type" criteria two options are possible gaussian or binomial. I have used "binomial" but I don't know which link function is being used. Is there anyway to check the link function?

Thanks,

Merina

Nicola Pirastu
GenABEL senior expert
GenABEL senior expert

Re: polygenic function

Postby Nicola Pirastu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Merina,

to answer your question I need to ask you one first: what exactly are you trying to do?

In fact if you are only trying to run a GWAS on CC samples you can use ProbABEL, instructions can be found here on paragraph 3.2:

http://www.genabel.org/sites/default/fi ... manual.pdf

However the family option in polygenic does not really work and should not be used, if you are trying to get the coefficients of the covariates of a logistic regression you should use poligenic_hglm instead.

Hope this helps you.

Best

Nicola

Daniel E. Weeks

Postby Daniel E. Weeks » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:05 pm

This was written in June 2013:
However the family option in polygenic does not really work and should not be used, if you are trying to get the coefficients of the covariates of a logistic regression you should use poligenic_hglm instead.

Is this statement still true?

I think it probably is, as if I try polygenic with trait.type = "binomial" with a single binary trait and no covariates, while the estimate of the mean makes sense, the subsequent FGLS check fails.

If polygenic still only works with trait.type = "gaussian", then shouldn't the trait.type = "binomial" option be removed from the polygenic code?

Thank you,
Dan Weeks

asha2015

Postby asha2015 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi

I am getting the following error:

Code: Select all

Error in nlm(llFUN, p = parsave, y =y,desmat = desmat, relmat =relmat,
:
non-finite value supplied by 'nlm'

When I run:

Code: Select all

model_AF <- polygenic(af ~ sex, kin=gkin, data, trait.type="binomial")

I double checked the phenotype file and it is in recommended order. My phenotype file has 0/1

Please help
Last edited by lckarssen on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reformatted output with the [code] tag

asha2015

Postby asha2015 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi

in the following code:
model_AF <- polygenic(af ~ sex, kin=gkin, data, trait.type="binomial")

Does the trait type change statistical function? I always run into an error when I choose"binomial" but "gaussian" seems to work.

Kind regards

Return to “GenABEL”