h2 values to use in the instruction: a <-grammar(h2ht,data=df)

Questions about GenABEL (aka *ABEL) suite of packages
Forum rules
Please remember not to post any sensitive data on this public forum.
The first few posts of newly registered users will be moderated in order to filter out any spammers.

When get a solution to the problem you posted, please change the topic name (e.g. from "how to ..." to "[SOLVED] how to ..."). This will make it easier for the community to follow the posts yet to be attended.
biancaneve

h2 values to use in the instruction: a <-grammar(h2ht,data=df)

Postby biancaneve » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:53 pm

I must calculate heritability of two traits (tr1 and tr2) in order to perform association analysis with Bovine Illumina BeadChip (777,962 markers) using the following function:

Code: Select all

a_tr  <-grammar (h2ht, data=data868)

I have 900 individuals, two fixed effects: farm and year of birth, the traits are the following:
t1 = number of calvings in lifespan of every cow (1 to 12);
t2 = number of days in lifespan of the same cows (from birth to sale for slaughter: 1153 to 5934 days).
the two traits are highly correlated (+ 78%).

1. I used the following function to calculate heritability:

> h2_tr <- polygenic (tr ~farm+year, kin=gkin, data868, trait.type = "gaussian")

and I obtained reliable heritability values (0.27) for trait 1.
For trait 2, I obtained unreliable values (close to 1), with the following warning: .
“some eigenvalues close/less than 1e-8, setting them to 1e-8 you can also try option llfun='polylik' instead”.
2. Then I tried:

> h2_tr <- polygenic (tr ~farm+year, kin=gkin, data868, trait.type = "gaussian", llfun=polylik)

and I obtained the same unreliable h2, slightly lower (0.97) but the procedure has been running for 20 hours.
3. Suspecting that the trait was not linear, I added “ opt.method = "nlm", but obtained again h2=09999999.
4. Should I maybe use the “steptol” and “gradtol” ? I tried them with various values and I obtained various h2 estimates, ranging from .17 to .50.
Can you help me?
Last edited by lckarssen on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatted R code using [code] tags

Return to “GenABEL”