Genabel Variance decomposition

Questions about GenABEL (aka *ABEL) suite of packages
Forum rules
Please remember not to post any sensitive data on this public forum.
The first few posts of newly registered users will be moderated in order to filter out any spammers.

When get a solution to the problem you posted, please change the topic name (e.g. from "how to ..." to "[SOLVED] how to ..."). This will make it easier for the community to follow the posts yet to be attended.
mramon

Genabel Variance decomposition

Postby mramon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Dear GenABEL users,

How GenABEL, and particurlary polygenic function, decomposes the variance of a trait? That is, imagine that I have a trait A with total (phenotypic variance) equals to var(A).
1.- how heritability (h2) is defined? is the ratio between genetic variance of A/ var(A)? Is this genetic variance equal to polygenic variance? Can I, therefore, say that

Code: Select all

h^2=polygenic_variance/var(A)=polygenic_variance/(polygenic_variance + residual_variance)

and therefore, that

Code: Select all

polygenic_variance=(polygenic_variance + residual_variance)*h^2

2.- What percentage of genetic variance is assigned to markers? It seems that mmscore function uses the residualY from polygenic function. My idea was that genetic variance could be split into one part explained by markers and another part not captured by these markers but included in the polygenic effect. The residualY variable used by mmscore seems to include both, the variance explained and not explained by markers. Is there a way to estimate both components, to split both variance components?

3.- How the variance components reported by the polygenic function (polygenic + residual variance; variance of residualY, variance of pgresidualY; and variance of grresidualY) relate to total variance of the trait?

I found the variance decomposition reported by GenABEL difficult to understand, at least for myself. Could anyone help me to understand it better?

Thank you for your help!

Regards

Manuel

mramon

Re: Genabel Variance decomposition

Postby mramon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:28 pm

No one has and idea about that topic?

Return to “GenABEL”